Blogs - why? How?

Blogs - why? How?

by Mária Hartyányi -
Number of replies: 3
Dear All!

Your first task was to start a blog, and reflect on the questions related to the lessons in TC01. One of the first question was in the lesson "
Creativity? (forum, diary)" was:

"Csikszentmihalyi said that “It is not that students cannot learn, it is that they do not wish to…if educators invested a fraction of the energy on stimulating the students’ enjoyment of learning that they now spend in trying to transmit information we could achieve much better results” (Csikszentmihalyi, 1991, p. 1). Write a report discussing the issues in this quotation in your learning diary!" (See details here: http://www.tenegen.eu/course/mod/book/view.php?id=308&chapterid=167 )

Till now I did not find any answer to the question, but I was happy to see, that Benedikt, Matthias (he started on tenegen.eu), Steve, Annamalia found the way how to start their blogs. Congratulation!

I am sure, that during the first week we should pay attention mainly to the learning environment: how to find lessons, videos, assignments etc. in Moodle.
Please, do not give up, these technical difficulties will go away soon :)!

Please write about your problems - if you have any - in your blogs, the tutor or the instructor will comment your post! The blog is to share with us and with your "peers" your experiences related to the lessons (to its content) and to Moodle environment. The aim is to try out the ways of online communication and collaboration!

What do you think?

Maria

In reply to Mária Hartyányi

Re: Blogs - why? How?

by Mária Hartyányi -
I should apologize, I made a mistake, Benedikt dod not start his blog :(, he only reflected on Steve posts!

But: we have to eminents in our group, who kept the schedule :)! Not only discovered, but also submitted the first credited assignments!! They are: Janine and Lainey! Excellent job! Congratulation!

by Mária Hartyányi -
I would like to citate from Janine blog, who gave a very valuable summary why blogs could be used in the pedagogical practice, and why they are not really used by the teachers.

"Students must make a number of choices when working through any program of study and these will be informed by a variety of factors. Especially in distance education schemes, blogging has been investigated for its potential use in an educational context. Although research has shown that blogging is adopted favorably by some students, others opt not to use the tool (Kerawalla, 2008). In such cases where students show an aversion to blogging, this could be related to a variety of factors ranging from disinterest to self-consciousness. It seems plausible to me that those who actively choose not to use the medium will feel either that they have nothing to gain pedagogically from doing so, ill-equipped in terms of technical know-how, or unsure that their understanding of subject matter is developed enough to be shared so openly."

I suggest to visit Janine's the blog and comment it, or if you prefer you are free to reflect here on the forum too. There are some especially good examples, "best practices" on the world to prove the pedagogical value of blogs, please visit this site: http://mediatedcultures.net/ksudigg/, what is a blog created by Prof. Michael Wesch for collaboration with his student at the Kansas State University.

by Janine Mahood -
Hi Maria,

Thanks for your feedback on my blog posts and for the link to the Wesch blog. I was introduced to Prof. Wesch's work earlier this year, in one of my university courses. The video work he does with his students is extremely interesting. The two most popular are:

Web 2.0 ... The Machine is Us/ing Us

A Vision of Students Today

If some of you have time or are interested, check them out. Good evidence of creativity. smile