Are the schools really killing the creativity of the students?

Are the schools really killing the creativity of the students?

by Mária Hartyányi -
Number of replies: 7
"Creativity expert Sir Ken Robinson challenges the way we're educating our children. He champions a radical rethink of our school systems, to cultivate creativity and acknowledge multiple types…" See his video lecture on TED website, and reflect on his thoughts in this topic!
In reply to Mária Hartyányi

Re: Are the schools really killing the creativity of the students?

by Mária Hartyányi -
Dear All,

have you visited already the first lessons? Have you seen the video with Ken Robinson? No reflection?
Maria

by Benedikt Schimmelpfennig -
Hello Mária,

I just saw his video on the TED website.

The first thing I want to say is that it was quite a fun listening to him. It is nice to watch somebody giving a lecture about a serious topic, if he is also able to make you laughing out loud.

"..no one knows what God looks like. Well, they will know in a minute.." That is creativity. ^^

With that technique he is getting you on different emotional levels. This makes it much more interesting to listen to and on the same way easier keeping the tenor in mind.
In reply to Benedikt Schimmelpfennig

by Mária Hartyányi -
Benedikt I deeply agree with you! Just this was my reason to start our communication about this attractive lecture. But what about he intends to say us? It would be really true that the schools are trying to kill the creativity from the kids?

The Hungarian teachers had a very heavy debate about it (with more than 100 comments!) and they were a little bit sad regarding the present situation in Hungary.

Do the traditional teaching methods in the present school system develop (or at least let free) the students' creativity in your country? Do you have your personal experiences on the field? Are we in a better position in Europe as Ken in the USA?

Maria

by Elaine Mahood -
Hello all,

I watched the video this afternoon and found it quite interesting as well.

I liked what he said and the how he said it. It was entertaining and insightful. What struck me is when he said that we
are experiencing ‘academic inflation’ and that we need to re-think our view of intelligence. Mr. Robinson, I believe, is spot on here and I could not agree more.

I have to admit that I looked at the time (length) of the video first and almost did not watch it because it is just under 20 minutes. I am glad I did though in the end.

Later,
Lainey
(-:

by Janine Mahood -
I've also watched the lecture and agree with so much of what Sir Robinson says. It may well be in the nature of all school systems (globally) to inadvertently 'kill' creativity, since institutional structures arose out of the industrial revolution and the need for a 'skilled' workforce. I definitely agree it is time to rethink our values in education, placing more emphasis on retaining creativity while increasing knowledge.

That said, I feel lucky to have had many teachers growing up, who valued creativity and often encouraged it. Thinking back, I had a lot of fun at school. That might have had something to do with growing up in Silicon Valley, a place where imagination fueled the computer hardware and software industry.

--------
"Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire."
(W. B. Yeats)

by giovanni fulantelli -
In reply to giovanni fulantelli

by Mária Hartyányi -
Giovanni, I am happy to read this article! But nothing is new under the sun: I wrote about in another forum topic, I copy it here:
"The same was articulated in my favour book: "The Cult of Information" by " Theodore Roszak (1986). (Do you know it?) Roszak protested against the conception of Piaget and Seymour Papert, who stated that working with Logo develops the creativity of children. Yes - he said - the children can easily draw flowers by using Logo, and it makes them happy, but how can it be compared to the flower drawn by hand using coloured pencils. How the artifical flower created by the computer can be compared to the beautiful drawings by childrens?"

I think it worth to read the book today too! The psychologists are investigating the impact of the media on children"s brain now a days, but Roszak predicted all these intuitively!!!

I deeply agree with Roszak and with the article: to let children to the computer too early should be banned and not supported!

Maria