Welcome to the English-language pilot

Welcome to the English-language pilot

by Ed Mahood -
Number of replies: 25

Hi everyone,

I'm Ed Mahood, your tutor for the English-language pilot for TC-01 E-learning Concepts.

In this discussion thread, I would like you to introduce yourselves to the other members of the pilot group. This need not be anything fancy, just your name and a little bit about yourself. This helps us overcome some of the anonymity of working in different places and only seeing a computer screen.

Remember, too, if you have any questions or problems, don't hesitate to ask and we'll try to get them resolved. I will set up a separate discussion thread (in the Group Forum ... look for the icon on the home page for the course) for this purpose.

Have fun, and good luck with the pilot!
-Ed-

In reply to Ed Mahood

Re: Welcome to the English-language pilot

by Janine Mahood -
Hello Everyone,

My name is Janine Mahood and I am joining you from Stuttgart, Germany. I look forward to working on this pilot course because I am very interested in the use of educational technologies within various learning environments; particularly, the implementation of web 2.0 tools for online learning.

This pilot is sure to be a great opportunity to learn more about this, while getting to know others who share my interest.

Regards,
Janine
In reply to Janine Mahood

by Mária Hartyányi -
Hi Janine,

Welcome in Tenegen! I hope you will find really useful the tools we go around!

Do you have any experiences in online collaboration and web 2.0 ?

For me (and I am sure not only for me but also for my Hungarian fellows too) the main problem will be to formulate our ideas in English, express in English exactly what I want to say - please be patient I'll try all my best :)!

Maria

by Janine Mahood -
Hello Again,

Sorry about the delayed reply, it's been a busy week.

I have had some exposure to web 2.0 tools (RSS feeds and social networking) and have recently started collaborating on projects using wikis. I think these tools offer a lot of possibilities and am sure they will prove very effective in combination with VLEs.

I wish all of you a productive week!
Janine

by Ed Mahood -

Glad you could make it, Janine. Yes, this pilot will be a big learning experience for us all.

-edm-

In reply to Ed Mahood

by Elaine Mahood -
Hello,

My name is Elaine Mahood but you can all call me Lainey. I co-run the English language department at the University of Hohenheim. I love my job and I love teaching and this should be an interesting little project…

Looking forward to working with all of you,

Lainey

L-:
In reply to Elaine Mahood

by Mária Hartyányi -
Hi Lainey,

what a good news to hear that we have an English teacher on the board :)!

The language teachers are in a very good position regarding the networked learning - namely most of the publication about e-learning methods and tools are written in English. What do you think? Do the members of the staff at your uni have time to deal with these things, or are they overloaded as in Hungary the teachers are?

Maria

by Elaine Mahood -
Hello,

I also want to apologize for the delay in getting back to the forum. It’s been busy all around, I guess…

> what a good news to hear that we have an English teacher on the board smile!

This is quite an interesting experience for me. As a ‘pen and paper’ teacher I am interested in how and where IT can be used to aid teaching as well as learning.

> The language teachers are in a very good position regarding the networked learning –
> namely most of the publication about e-learning methods and tools are written in English.
> What do you think? Do the members of the staff at your uni have time to deal with these
> things, or are they overloaded as in Hungary the teachers are?

That is true. In terms of e-learning, English-speaking teachers have access to a wide range of tools and explanatory information. I am noticing, however, that many higher education institutions in Germany are starting to implement these tools or are at least investigating how these could best be put to use in an educational context.

I only have one teacher at the moment really using e-learning technology. She spends an extra ordinate amount of time putting things together. I think the others are not ready to invest what they see as extra work and effort into e-learning just yet. I do think that we are headed toward a point where this will no longer be optional though. I’m not sure this will happen until legislation demands it, but that may not be too far off.

Just getting myself prepared for change,

Lainey

by Mária Hartyányi -
Lainey, do not apologize, we are all very busy, and this is the course which should make you pleasure instead of worry :)!

I agree with you: in all over the education (at every level) the pilots, how to utilize the networking tools are just at the beginning, and to discover the web-potential in teaching takes too much time at the first steps from the teachers. But being almost over the Hungarian pilot I was surprised to experience, that all of the participants were extremly active in using the new tools offerred them in the course. We planned the course for for months - we are in the 6. months and they hes been working...

I hope you will not to regret to take part, and I ask you to relax! The networked learning should work without limit in space and time :)!!!

Maria

by Ed Mahood -

Welcome aboard ... and you are absolutely correct: this will certainly be an interesting experience for all of us.

-edm-

In reply to Ed Mahood

by Mária Hartyányi -
He everyone,

I am Maria Hartyanyi the author of the TC01 in Hungarian (the quality of the English content should be thanked for your tutor Ed, and for Ken Currie who is the repsentative CAPDM - an e-learning company in Scotland, and project partner in Tenegen!)

I was graduated as a teacher of Mathematics, and was working at the Department of Maths of the Szent István University, but after the first 5 years - when the first mainframe computers were installed in our department - I changed to IT. As the coordinator of Tenegen project I am very happy to meet you here, and taking part in this international pilot - where the main role of course belongs not to me but to all of you! I am conviced that the networking technology should be (will be!) integrated at all level of the education during the next years but it could be succesful only if the teachers, trainers and staff of the higher education join to this challenge! This course expect maximally your creativity in pedagogy - the technology is nothing without devoted teachers!

I hope that my English will not set back in understanding each-other - please feel free to ask and to correct me!

Maria
In reply to Ed Mahood

by Benedikt Schimmelpfennig -

Hello everyone,

my name is Benedikt Schimmelpfennig and I am joining you from Hamburg.

This year I just started in my company’s product development department. I have already made some experiences with e-learning concepts, but this topic is still new to me.

So this pilot seems like a great opportunity to learn more about different concepts and methods using modern educational technologies.

I’m looking forward to work with all of you.

Benedikt

In reply to Benedikt Schimmelpfennig

by Mária Hartyányi -
Nice to see you here Benedikt! It is a really big challenge to try out the web 2.0 tools in a Eropean community! I am sure you will give several creative idea to this pilot!
I hope it will worth for you to keep with us!
Maria
In reply to Benedikt Schimmelpfennig

by Ed Mahood -

Greetings, Benedikt, keep those questions coming. They help me find my way around the course, too.

-edm-

In reply to Ed Mahood

by István Kiss -
Hello everyone,

My name is István Kiss. István means Stephen in Hungarian and the word kiss has a very different meaning, but sounds good in English.
I use Internet daily at work and at home, too. I teach informatics especially multimedia. I'm a little bit sick of the huge amount of tools on the net but I hope finding the best ones helping in teaching.
I have learned German language at Szeged, Hungary. Now, I'm learning Italian. So, I feel myself to know each side of learning, the learner side and the "dark" side as well.
In my spare time I like "running" out from the network, from the "crowd" and my newest hobby is riding a bicycle.
In reply to István Kiss

by Ed Mahood -

Welcome on board, István. I agree there are maybe too many tools being used on the internet, but perhaps through our course we can find the ones that are most helpful and focus on them. We'll see.

-edm-

In reply to István Kiss

by Pierfranco Ravotto -
Hi Istvan

happy to know that you are studying Italian smile.

I have collaborated in preparing some courses - A1, A2 & B1 - for foreign people who want to study Italian.
Please have a look here: http://www.ismu.org/parliamocichiaro/moodle/

You can enter as a guest (the courses are available to gests) or you can register yourself. It's a Moodle platform.
II think that can be interesting example on how to produce Moodle courses re-using and adapting already existing materials.

By
In reply to Pierfranco Ravotto

by István Kiss -
Dear Pierfranco,

Grazie mille! I have logged into the Italian course and I have tried the first test. At first sight it was not so easy smile but I made only one mistake from the 8 sentences cool. Thank you very much!

István
In reply to Ed Mahood

by Matthias Ahrens -

Many Mahoods here ... Well, I am no Mahood, my name is Matthias. For about three weeks I have been trying to find my way through TENEGEN. At the age of 49, I must be a proper member of the target group. In addition: at the schools I have been working for or with recently, online teaching does hardly play a role. Teachers emphazise the orality of their lessons and (many of them) seem to consider their teaching as a kind of alternative model to the net worlds, in which the students usually live.

Now I will get back to work ...

In reply to Ed Mahood

by Matthias Ahrens -

Many Mahoods here ... Well, I am no Mahood, my name is Matthias. For about three weeks I have been trying to find my way through TENEGEN. At the age of 49, I must be a proper member of the target group. In addition: at the schools I have been working for or with recently, online teaching does hardly play a role. Teachers emphazise the orality of their lessons and (many of them) seem to consider their teaching as a kind of alternative model to the net worlds, in which the students usually live.

Now I will get back to work ...

In reply to Matthias Ahrens

by Mária Hartyányi -
Hi Matthias, nice to see you here, I would like to calm you, it is not you, who is the senior in this group :)! I am interested in your experiences concerning the learning attitudes of the generation sitting in your classroom. As you see one of the main topic to discuss in this course will be the "net generation". Should the schools change their teaching methods to be as effective as with 20 years ago? I ask you to continue the discussion in the topic "Digital natives - net generation". Anyway, did you see the video from Ken Robinson?

I hope you will not mind to keep with us in this course :)!

Maria

In reply to Ed Mahood

by vialisz regath -
Hi everyone,
My name is Vialisz, I'm a primary school teacher where I teach general subjects and my speciality is music. Occasionally I work for adult educational institutes, to create and upload e-learning elements. I have some experinece with Moodle and graduated a multimedia developer course.
I was glad to see your course and I hope I will acquire new skills and possibilities.
In reply to Ed Mahood

by katalin fazekas -

Hi Ed and everybody else,

I am a newcomer and I hope it is not too late to join you.

I'm a teacher of English working in vocational education specializing in IT English.

I work as a project manager and material developer as well so I have collected some experience in online learning material development.

Although I have already used Moodle I can see that I still have a lot to learn.

So it is nice to meet you in the virtual space...

I wish you all the best and let's keep in touch,

Kate Fazekas

In reply to Ed Mahood

by Malte Stamer -

Hello everybody,

my name is Malte and I´m a member of the DEKRA family. My experience with WEB 2.0 technologies is limited to the download of files for my mp3-player. I´m curious about next experiences.

malte

In reply to Malte Stamer

by Mária Hartyányi -
Hi Malte, nice to see you here! Please read the first lessons in TC01, and start your blog - as the first web 2.0 tool to try out in Tenegen! Did you find the lessons? May other "old" and experienced Tenegen participants help you?
In reply to Ed Mahood

by Pierfranco Ravotto -
Hi all
sorry not to have presented myself before. I'm Italian and I'm involved in the Tenegen project as the coordinator of the SLOOP project, that is one of the starting point of the Tenegen project.
I have been a teacher in a Secondary school - student age: 14-19 - till 2007. My interest is the use of ICT in teaching and learning.

smile